1.01.2010

Scoreboard.

So I'm lying on the couch at my in-laws house in Port Orange, and I'm about ready to pass out, but I have to keep my daily commitment! It is the first of the year after all... and that's when these things are technically supposed to begin. Being that I'm absolutely exhausted, I'm going to keep this short and most likely expand on this all tomorrow.

The Gator Bowl was fantastic. Despite the 15 mile per hour winds, the constant, drizzling rain, and the unnaturally bitter cold for a Jacksonville New Year's Day, it turned out to be a beautiful day. The boys and I got to stand on the front of the rail as Bobby Bowden made his last walk into the stadium, and I managed to get a picture of the back of his head. We sat at the absolute furthest point from the field at the top right corner of the stadium. We sat in what was deemed the West Virginia section. And for the first ten minutes of the game, we had to deal with Mountaineer fans mocking the Seminole faithful with our own War Chant. And when one of the drunk, obnoxious hillbillies in front of us decided to turn around after their second touchdown made it 14-3, WVU, and say with his squinty, drunken eyes, "It's gon' get ugly!" ...it incensed me. There's nothing like talking trash in the first quarter. I'll admit, I've done it before, and I'm sure I sounded just as ignorant.

But after 26 years of being a sports fan, there's always one comeback that people like that are always forced to recognize. And when the full 60 minutes of football had been played, the sun was shining, the rain had gone away, and the Florida State Seminoles sent Bobby Bowden off into the sunset with a win for the ages. That's when I looked down in front of us to deliver the crushing blow to Skeeter and the gang, but they had already fled. But if they hadn't decided to get out of dodge just yet? Then I'd have said it to their face.

Scoreboard.

33-21, FSU. Go Noles.

1 comment:

  1. Again, I loved every minute of the trip. Except for the freezing rain, the howling wind, and the WVU idiots.

    ReplyDelete