1.16.2010

Themes!

All my life I've done my best work when I have limits. All through school, I'd make the greatest effort to understand my teachers and what they wanted out of their students, and then subsequently deliver pieces of work that would come as close to their target as possible. That's partially why I excelled in English and History and more or less any kind of class that required you to write a paper at some point in time. I knew what they liked to read, what style they preferred, and just did it their way. Now? I more or less do things my way, but I still abide by one of the 7 habits of highly successful people: seek first to understand, then to be understood. Without knowing it, I was already a practicing, successful individual before I realized what it was.

It was in considering what I wanted to write yesterday that I came up with an idea to help myself tremendously as I move forward in this endeavor to write every day: guidelines. Since I've always worked best within some sort of structure, why not create structure for myself? Therefore, I came up with "theme days." Every day of the week, I'm going to have a different, set theme. That way, I'll know in advance what kind of topic I'll be writing on that day, and I be a little more prepared, even save up topics throughout the week. Through some personal contemplation and then conversation with Meghan, this is what I've settled on. If you have any additional suggestions or ideas, feel free to let me know!

Music Monday: I'll pick a song to write about, post the lyrics, say what made me think of it, where I first heard it, any kind of ties I may have to it, or maybe even just what I think it means. I may even do a little more research and give some background on it... if you're lucky!

TV Tuesday: I'm still not completely set on this one, but since I watch plenty of different shows and there's always something interesting happened on the TV, I figure there's something that I can write about here. It may even be an idea for something NEW on TV... you'll just have to wait and see.

Whatever Wednesday: This is freestyle day. For anything that doesn't fit into the other categories, I'll save it up and talk about it here.

Thankful Thursday: To keep things on a positive note, Thursdays will be used to talk about something, someone, or somewhere that I'm thankful for.

Fun Fact Friday: Since I'm always sharing sometimes useful but most useless facts, why not dedicate a day to sharing them with my adoring fans?

Sports Saturday: The name says it all. I've also deemed this "day least likely for my wife to be reading my blog."

Story Sunday: I have a long, sordid history to tell about my life, and Sundays are where you'll get to hear about it.

That's what I've got. Again, any differing opinions or ideas can be shared at your leisure. In the meantime, look forward to a post later for SPORTS SATURDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment