1.16.2010

Sports Saturday: I'm a Fan

Tonight marked the beginning of the "divisional" round of the NFL playoffs. I'm not entirely sure why they call it the divisional round since I think it would be more appropriate to be the "quarterfinal round" or something along those lines, but I believe "divisional" applies to the fact that each of the teams hosting this weekend's games are divisional winners. Regardless, we've already seen two teams advance to their respective conferences championships, and both games turned out to be a bit one-sided when it came down to it.

In approaching this weekend's NFL playoff matchups, I considered who I would like to see moving on to the next round. Since the Bucs were more or less eliminated from contention when the season started, I'm left with a pretty wide-open field. But in thinking about who I'd rather pull for, I realized that it didn't really matter who moved on, I could find a good story with anyone. In breaking it all down, here's why I'd like to see any of the remaining teams moving forward (bearing in mind that two of them are eliminated already):

Indianapolis Colts: After watching them tank the last two games of the season on purpose after starting 14-0 with the very real chance on going undefeated (they were leading after halftime vs. the New York Jets before pulling their starters, and the final week they faced a pretty dreadful Buffalo Bills team), I almost wanted to see the Colts get bounced immediately for essentially spitting in the face of NFL history. Then I remembered that this is a team that Tony Dungy built. The same Tony Dungy that more or less built the Tampa Bay Bucs team that won Super Bowl XXXVII under John Gruden. The man is one of the greatest coaches in the history of football, and an even greater man. I'd like to see the Colts win one more just to solidify his legacy, but also for Peyton Manning. Peyton is engaging, hard-working, dedicated, versatile, and one of the greatest quarterbacks in history. By the end of his career, he's likely to hold nearly every record that a quarterback can hold, and he's broken several of them already. Still, he's routinely criticized for being a choker despite already winning a Super Bowl 3 years ago. Winning one more would silence the critics for good, and take him one step closer to edging Tom Brady out of the "best QB in the NFL" conversation once and for all.

Baltimore Ravens: Defensive, hard-nosed football is a style that not too many people can appreciate anymore in the high-flying, offense-heavy days of the NFL, but I certainly enjoy watching it. The display that the Ravens put on last week against New England was fantastic to watch. They ran the ball down their throat, completely shut them down defensively, and reminded the rest of the league and the general public just what a team with a strong identity can do when they stick to their guns. (sadly, the Ravens were eliminated by the Colts tonight, 20-3)

New Orleans Saints: Being a Bucs fan, I've never really been crazy about the Saints. In fact, back when Michael Vick's cousin was their quarterback, I couldn't stand them. Deuce McAllister was the death of us nearly every year, and we could never do anything against their defense. However, in the days of fantasy football, I've learned to like them more and more given that their players have helped me to win after win (particularly Drew Brees, Marques Colston, and Pierre Thomas; Reggie Bush is a perennial disappointment). And in the aftermath of Katrina? The Saints were about the only thing that I could find redeeming about the State of Louisiana. Those who have known me since I had to drive to Dallas for training a few years back understand my distaste for anything Louisiana related... but that's a story for another time. The Saints and Brees have been a great story this year, and if anyone from the NFC South can take the title home, I'd like to see it. At least we could say we beat the champs... right?

Arizona Cardinals: I have always liked Kurt Warner. The man came out of absolutely nowhere to become a future hall-of-famer. Before he took the St. Louis Rams to one of the most thrilling Super Bowl victories that I've ever seen (vs. the Tennessee Titans), the man was bagging groceries. Since then, he's been to three Super Bowls, winning the aforementioned title along the way, and pulled the perennially awful Arizona Cardinals out of a historically bad playoff drought, taking them to the first Super Bowl ever. This is likely his last season due to injuries (namely concussions) and his advanced age, and I'd love to see him finish strong. (again, sadly, the Cardinals were soundly defeated by the Saints this evening, 45-14)

Dallas Cowboys: "America's Team" has been bad in December and January since the '90s came to an end. Their routinely lambasted in the media for their annual swoon, but this year? They did the unexpected and closed on a winning streak, beating the Philadelphia Eagles twice in consecutive weeks, handing the New Orleans Saints their first loss all season, and winning the NFC East. For whatever reason, I've always liked Tony Romo. He seems like a genuine guy, and someone who's really happy to have the position that he has. Besides, sports are always better when someone popular is at the top, someone strong to root against, as it were. I'd love to see the Cowboys and the Saints in the NFC Championship.

Minnesota Vikings: First off, I love the purple. Growing up, purple was my favorite color before I settled on cerulean, a much more grown-up shade of blue that speaks to my soul. Second, the only other reason I'd want the Vikings to win it all is simple: Brett Favre. To justify coming back out of retirement (AGAIN) and holding the news cycle hostage all summer during baseball season, he damn well better win it or else I'm going to be angrier about his second annual unretirement than I already am.

San Diego (super) Chargers: Their theme song is catchy, they play in a city that has some of the best weather in the world, and the powder blue unis are second to none. LaDainian Tomlinson deserves to play in a Super Bowl, especially since his career is likely winding down since he's hitting the post-30 years old running back decline. Philip Rivers is brash and outspoken, something that I've always enjoyed watching, especially when a player can back it up, and especially when he's not playing against my teams (I hated him when he was at N.C. State carving up the Noles defense on homecoming weekend). San Diego enters the playoffs as the hottest team in the league, and the showtime nature of their approach may be the opposite of what the Ravens and our next team display, but it's just as much fun to watch.

New York Jets: Like the Chargers, the Jets feature an outspoken, brash member of their team that gets headlines every week, but instead of getting in the huddles he's on the sidelines with the headset. The Jets' coach, Rex Ryan, makes some outlandish statement every week about how his team is the one to beat despite backing into the playoffs and having the last two teams they played essentially lay down against them with nothing left to play for. Still, watching their defense go from middle-of-the-road last year to dominant this year has been a sight. And even with FSU alum, Leon Washington, out with an injury, he would still get a ring should they make it to Miami and leave with the Lombardi Trophy. And hey, we could always use another Nole with a title in his back pocket.

When it comes down to it, I can find a reason to root for or against anyone if I have to. That's how I am with most sports, though. Regardless of who's playing who and what sport it may be, I'm a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment