1.06.2010

"Don't be an idiot."

In my line of work, as you'd imagine, there's plenty of competition. We provide energy-efficiency projects, and even before the whole "green movement" started, there were dozens of companies that provide services and solutions very similar to ours. Now? There's probably hundreds. That being said, there are a limited number of potential customers out there. Many times, I'll get into research a prospect only to find somewhere along the line that they've already done a project or they're already well ahead of the game. In those instances, there's rarely much that we can do to help, and even more rarely will they even allow us to in the door.

It's for these moments and other frustrating instances like them that I created the motivational board. Back when I first started this job, I bought a giant white board to keep track of what I had going on. The glorified day planner turned into a giant NCAA basketball tournament bracket, and then back into a day planner, and then back into a bracket, and then into a mini-art studio, and finally into the motivational quotes board. Over the past few months, both myself and anyone who feels inspired will write on the board something that sends a positive message. I have facets like "We are all selling, "You are the magic," and "Finish strong." Important. Impassioned. Ingenious.

So when I get frustrated or feel like I'm not really getting anywhere, I look at the board and try to find something, anything that will put me back on the right track, help me realize that there's always a brighter future just ahead, and allow me to stay strong. I'll give you what I have so far, and if you have anything brilliant to add, feel free to leave it in the comments and I'll take it under consideration. Some portions of the board have been omitted to protect the innocent.

"Aim beyond what you are capable of."

"Nothing is impossible."

"Don't seek praise; seek criticism."

"Make the best with what you have."

"Don't promise what you can't deliver."

"You're own your own! Fly or die."

"Success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

"Don't take no for an answer!"

"You have to be whole to be someone else's half." - Meghan Berry

"Don't give a speech, put on a show!"

"Present creativity first."

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." - Beverly Sills

"You've got one dial on your machine, and it's winning!" - Motocross Track Announcer

"Don't knock the competition: it publicizes them, not you."

"You must not confuse being good with being liked."

"Don't forget where you came from." - Randy Berry

"Love is a verb."

"The person who doesn't make mistakes is unlikely to make anything."

"To become a champion, fight one more round." - James Corbitt

"Don't be an idiot." - Michael Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment