1.08.2010

A Woman's Glory

Right now, my wife is out and about getting her hair did in downtown Tampa, the area of town that's called Hyde Park. It's a pretty fancy section of town that has all sorts of lovely little shops selling chocolate, high-end clothing, paraphernalia for your dogs, and several kitschy restaurants. Jekyll Park? That place is a nightmare.

They say that a woman's hair is her glory. I've never quite understood what that's supposed to mean, but I know they care about their hair a hell of a whole lot. I remember growing up that mom and sister were always concerned about theirs, and in 6+ years of being with Meghan, I know that it's pretty important to her too. I mean, let's be honest, it's important to me as well. It was that glorious red-headed mane that first caught my attention way back on June 5, 2003. Since then, it's continued to rank consistently in the top 5.

Back at the FSU orientation, Megs had long hair. By the time that I saw her again for our fateful July 4th rendezvous, it was a short, pixie-ish look that greeted me at the door. She called it her "Oprah" haircut for some reason. I never really got that one. Over the next few years she would grow it out again, keeping it that way all the way up to our wedding where those long, luscious locks made for some pretty spectacular bridal and wedding pictures. It looked awesome. Shortly after we got married, she decided it was time for a change and went short again. Something about how it doesn't take as long to fix up and all that. It's stayed that way since.

I've liked virtually every style that she's chosen over the years. Honestly, I love her, and it really doesn't matter how her hair looks to me, it's always going to look good. Besides, I'm an advocate of novelty wherever it's available, so changes and mixing things up is always a plus in my book. She and Emily looked over a hair book last night to make a decision on what the new "do" would be, and while I saw a few options, I told her to keep the final verdict secret; I want to be surprised.

As for me? My hair takes a thimble-full of hair wax/paste and about 17 seconds of effort to get it to look fantastic. It actually takes longer to rinse the residue from my fingers that it does to run them through my hair itself. But hey, a man's glory is his woman, so I'm all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment