12.29.2009

In all fairness...

...like I said, I'm a starter, not a finisher. But damn it, I'm not going to quit now.

I'll start by saying that I could never have dreamed of a better wife. Meghan is beautiful, intelligent, caring, thoughtful, considerate, loving, funny, adorable, and strong. She's the kind of woman I hope to be some day.

On our way home from Christmas with my family up in the North Georgia mountains, she managed to stay awake for all of the drive but about 30 minutes just after downtown Atlanta. It has to be some kind of record. Usually, once that constant road vibration starts, it turns the car into the perfect place to nap. Not unlike waves gently lapping at the shore or the songs of crickets keeping you company on a starry, country night, the soothing sounds of I-75 make her as relaxed as can be. Next time I'll bring along a recording device for all those nights that she finds me in the office, saying she can't sleep. "Well have I got the perfect solution for you..."

But, as always, I'm getting off the point.

She suggested that this year, for my "New Year's Resolution," that I should dedicate myself to writing more. But not just more: every day. With her checking e-mails and facebook every night, I have the perfect accountabilibuddy to make sure that I'm keeping pace. I agreed. Writing more never killed anybody apart from a handful of our founding fathers and biblical heroes, right?

And then, on a related note, I heard that one of the best ways to make sure you keep your resolutions is not to set an alarm, tell all your friends, or set up punishments for yourself, but to start now. As in right now. The moment that you think of it. So, here I am, not in the moment but in the mindset, writing. I'm not giving up. I'm not standing idly by. I'm active. I'm thinking. I'm... resolute.

I know that I probably won't be able to write every single day. Odds are, somewhere along the way, I'll be away from a computer for a full 24 hours. In today's day and age, though, that's becoming a slimmer and slimmer possibility. A more likely scenario is that, in these first few days and weeks, I'll be reminded by my ever-loving wife that I still have something to do before bed in addition to brushing my teeth and tucking her in, and I'll spend the wee hours of the night trying to think of something interesting and insightful and ingenious. I work best under pressure. Hopefully all this will teach me to work best period. We'll see. Keep watching. I'll be here.

3 comments:

  1. I check your blog, every day, hoping for something new that you've written. I'll "be here" too, my reward for waiting each new post. I love to read your stuff, son. You're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in complete agreement with all that is being said here...you need to do what you should do! Good Writing!!

    ReplyDelete